Things to do in Indianapolis and Indiana
For the week of February 17-23, 2014
15 Public Events in Indianapolis and Indiana
VERIFY ALL EVENT LISTINGS DUE TO THE WEATHER
- SAT-SUN: Parke County Maple Syrup Fair in Rockville
- MON-SUN: 60th Annual Indianapolis Boat, Sport and Travel Show at the State Fairgrounds
- MON: Joshua Bell in Concert at Ball State University
- FRI: 5th Annual Winter Nights Film Series at the Museum of Art
- SAT: Ron White Live at the Old National Centre
- SUN: College Goal Sunday at 40 Locations Across Indiana
- TUE: Indiana Pacers NBA Basketball at Bankers Life Fieldhouse
- SUN: College Men’s Basketball at Butler University
- TUE: Augustin Hadelich Live at the Indiana History Center
- SAT-SUN: 23rd Annual Maple Syrup Festival in Salem
- THU-SUN: 17th Annual Deer, Turkey and Waterfowl Expo at the Indiana State Fairgrounds
- FRI: Lee Greenwood in Concert at the Carmel Palladium
- SAT: Alamire in Concert at Christ Church Cathedral
- SUN: Indiana Ice USHL Ice Hockey at Bankers Life Fieldhouse
- FRI-SUN: ‘Down on the Bayou’ at Gregory Hancock Dance Theatre
To see thousands of upcoming event listings and things to do in Indianapolis and Indiana, visit our main Web site at http://aroundindy.com/, or go mobile with http://aroundindy.com/mobile/mobile.php for smartphones and tablet PCs.
By Susan Glant
Northminster Presbyterian Church
For the second year in a row, Sound & Spirit: The Arts at Northminster will feature a current Grammy Nominee in a free concert. Bluegrass sensation, The Boxcars, will perform in the sanctuary at Northminster Presbyterian Church, 1660 Kessler Boulevard, East Drive, Indianapolis, Friday, February 7 at 7 p.m.
When The Boxcars released IT’S JUST A ROAD in April 2013, members of the band fielded the usual interview questions about song selections, style, creative decisions and more. Both eloquently and quite simply, Adam Steffey summed up the process, the project and the band philosophy in general with characteristic aplomb, saying “What’s wrong with just playing good bluegrass?”
The Boxcars’ album has garnered a nomination for Best Bluegrass Album in the 56th Annual Grammy Awards announced January 26th. They already have in their pockets the IBMA 2013 Instrumental Group of the Year for the third year in a row, and the IBMA Mandolin Player of the Year for Adam Steffey.
“The Boxcars are certainly masters of modern traditional bluegrass. Bowman, Garrett, Nixon, Steffey, and Stewart have been described over and over as bluegrass music’s newest supergroup. Those who pick up a copy of this album will be hard-pressed to disagree. “(John Goad from Bluegrass Today)
From Bach to jazz to bluegrass, Sound & Spirit concerts celebrate regional and international artistry and present them free of charge to the Broad Ripple Community and beyond. Funded by supporters and the audience, we accept a free-will offering to maintain standards of future events. Childcare is provided.
By Cathy Partlow Strauss
On behalf of Congregation Shaarey Tefilla
On Monday, December 16, 2013 at 7:30 p.m., Music @ Shaarey Tefilla artistic director Michael Strauss welcomes a remarkable roster of internationally acclaimed musicians once again to the concert series. Performing are guest pianist Stuart Malina, Tony Award winner of Billy Joel’s Broadway hit musical “Movin’ Out” and music director of the Harrisburg Symphony; returning violinists Alex Kerr (IU Professor and Concertmaster of Dallas Symphony) and Zach Depue (ISO Concertmaster and fiddler with Time for Three); and, for the first time on the series, Brandon Vamos, cellist of the Grammy Award-winning PACIFICA Quartet. Concerts take place at Congregation Shaarey Tefilla at 3085 W. 116th Street in Carmel, Indiana.
The ensemble will perform music by Bloch and Shostakovich. Bloch wrote of his Suite Hebraique for viola and piano that, “The viola has always been one of my favorite instruments. It can express the whole range of feelings and passions with an intensity and colour that very few people imagine.” This work will be performed by violist Michael Strauss with pianist Stuart Malina. Strauss is Principal Violist on leave from the Indianapolis Symphony and now a professor at Oberlin Conservatory.
Shostakovich, known for some ferocious works of music that challenged the Soviet political establishment, wrote a charming set of Five Duets for 2 violins and piano. These Viennese-inspired miniatures will feature the internationally-renowned violinists Kerr and DePue. The full forces of the evening’s artist roster will then close the concert with Shostakovich’s universally loved Piano Quintet, which in 1940 was even considered to be in line with “wholesome Soviet values.”
The evening closes with a reception in the CST Social Hall where you can meet the artists.
General admission tickets are $20; $18 for CST members; and $6 for students. For tickets and more information, contact the office administrator at 317-733-2169 or visit online at www.shaareytefilla.org/music-at-cst.
The 2013-14 concert season, the Meridian Music Piano Festival Season, is made possible by individual donors and generous support of the season title sponsor, Meridian Music Company, located in Carmel, Indiana.
Things to do in Indianapolis
November 11-17, 2013
- MON: Veterans Day Parade in Downtown Indianapolis
- WED-SAT: Bands of America Grand National Championships at Lucas Oil Stadium
- WED-SUN: ‘Wicked the Musical’ at the Old National Centre
- TUE, FRI, SUN: College Men’s Basketball at Indiana University
- MON-SUN: 15th Annual Ann Katz Festival of Books at Arthur M. Glick JCC
- THU-SAT: ‘Follow the North Star’ at Conner Prairie Interactive History Park
- SAT-SUN: ‘Ice Age Giants: The Mystery of Mammoths and Mastodons’ at the State Museum
- SAT-SUN: ‘Christmas at the Lilly House’ at the Indianapolis Museum of Art
- MON, FRI: Indiana Pacers NBA Basketball at Bankers Life Fieldhouse
- WED, SUN: College Men’s Basketball at Purdue University
- FRI-SAT: Indiana Ice USHL Ice Hockey at Pan Am Pavilion
- SAT: College Men’s Basketball at Butler University
- SAT: Fitz and the Tantrums Live at the Old National Centre
- FRI: Dwight Yoakam in Concert at French Lick Resort
- FRI: Collingsworth Family Live at First Church of the Nazarene
To see thousands of upcoming event listings and things to do in Indianapolis and Indiana, visit http://aroundindy.com/.
Things to do in Indianapolis
September 16-22, 2013
- MON-SAT: Indy Jazz Fest in Indianapolis
- MON-SUN: Northside Nights Restaurant Specials in Indianapolis
- FRI: Craig Morgan in Concert at the Carmel Palladium
- MON-SUN: Friendship Flea Market in Ripley County
- THU-SUN: 21st Annual Sheridan Harvest Moon Festival in Hamilton County
- THU-SUN: 39th Annual Nappanee Apple Festival in Elkhart County
- FRI-SUN: 4-Wheel Jamboree Nationals at the Indiana State Fairgrounds
- FRI: 3rd Annual Monument Circle Oktoberfest in Downtown Indianapolis
- SAT-SUN: 39th Annual Johnny Appleseed Festival in Fort Wayne
- SAT: 33rd Annual Fiesta Indianapolis Festival at American Legion Mall
- SAT: Indianapolis Chinese Festival at Military Park
- SUN: Feast of Tabernacles at Broad Ripple Park
- SAT: College Football: Michigan State at Notre Dame
- FRI: The Wiggles Live at the Old National Centre
- SAT: Jason Aldean in Concert at Klipsch Music Center