By Kelly Young
On behalf of the Benjamin Harrison Presidential Site
The Benjamin Harrison Presidential Site is serving up its popular Civil War Dinners on Thursday, July 24, 2014, 6:30-9:30 p.m. Guests will enjoy an authentic dinner experience with “General Benjamin Harrison” and members of his “Aide-de-Camp” during this unique and interactive event.
Rather than sheet-iron crackers, canned foods and dehydrated vegetables that soldiers rationed and ate, guests will enjoy fine wine, hors d’oeuvres and a full dinner. The event begins in the Carriage House and includes a tour of President Benjamin Harrison’s home.
Civil War Dinner with “General Benjamin Harrison and members of his “Aide-de-Camp”
Thursday, July 24, 2014
Benjamin Harrison Presidential Site, 1230 N. Delaware St., Indianapolis, Indiana
$75/per person, $150 per couple or $1,500 sponsored dinner for 20
http://bhpsite.org/ or 317-631-1888
About Benjamin Harrison Presidential Site
The Benjamin Harrison Home, a 16-room Italianate style house, was constructed by Harrison in 1874 and is a National Historical Landmark recognized by the United States Department of the Interior. The non-profit organization is dedicated to increasing public understanding of, appreciation for, and participation in the American system of self-government through the life stories, arts and culture of an American President. www.bhpsite.org
Editor’s Acknowledgement: Baise Communications.
15 Public Events in Indianapolis and Indiana
VERIFY ALL EVENT LISTINGS TO BE CERTAIN THEY WILL BE HELD AS SCHEDULED
- SUN: 98th Running of the Indianapolis 500 at the Indianapolis Motor Speedway
- SAT: 58th Annual IPL 500 Festival Parade in Downtown Indianapolis
- TUE: Indiana Pacers NBA Playoffs Basketball at Bankers Life Fieldhouse
- SAT: KeyBank 500 Festival Snakepit Ball at the Indiana Roof Ballroom
- MON: Spotlight 2014 at Clowes Memorial Hall
- THU: Hoosier Hundred at the Indiana State Fairgrounds
- WED-SUN: 31st Annual Banks of the Wabash Festival in Terre Haute
- WED: 500 Festival Community Day at the Indianapolis Motor Speedway
- WED: 34th Annual Zoopolis 500 at the Indianapolis Zoo
- THU: Statehouse Market at the Indiana State Capitol Building
- THU: Rev Rally in Brownsburg
- SAT-SUN: 38th Annual Spirit of Vincennes Rendezvous in Knox County
- SAT: 69th Annual Visit Hendricks County ‘Night Before the 500′ at Lucas Oil Raceway
- FRI: Indiana Fever WNBA Basketball at Bankers Life Fieldhouse
- FRI: 500 Festival Memorial Service on Monument Circle
For more information about thousands of upcoming events and things to do in Indianapolis and Indiana, visit our main Web site at http://aroundindy.com/, or go mobile at http://aroundindy.com/mobile. Thank you for using AroundIndy.com as your source for Indy events!
By Lynelle Mellady
Conner Prairie Interactive History Park
Is meeting a U.S. president on your bucket list?
Conner Prairie Interactive History Park is offering the public the chance to interact with several presidents and first ladies from America’s past, and all for free on Presidents Day.
In celebration of the holiday, Conner Prairie, Indiana’s only Smithsonian Affiliate, will open from 10 a.m. to 5 p.m. on Feb. 17 with free admission to all.
Visitors won’t just get to meet these famous figures, but also sing with George Washington, box with Andrew Jackson, strut in an 1860s fashion show with Mary Todd Lincoln, learn about grave robbing from Benjamin Harrison, compete in a Revolutionary War version of capture the flag and much more.
Most activities are ongoing throughout the day, except where noted.
- Compete in a carnival-style shooting game in Teddy Roosevelt’s favorite Wild West and safari expedition settings, using safe marshmallow guns. Can you hit the targets?
- Warm up in an old-timey boxing workout then square off safely in the ring – like gentlemen – with Andrew Jackson and Martin Van Buren.
- Compete in the Revolutionary War version of capture the flag. Guests on two teams, the Americans and the British, will strategically and safely battle it out.
- Decorate and sign a card to celebrate George Washington’s birthday with a surprise party at 10:30 a.m. and 3:30 p.m.
- Learn about Franklin D. Roosevelt’s goal to bring electricity to rural America then electrify a 1930s farmhouse. Enjoy a fireside chat with FDR at 1:30 p.m. and 4 p.m.
- Scrutinize Ulysses S. Grant’s Presidential Cabinet of Curiosities. Which outrageous, historic and odd items are real and fake?
- Learn the do’s and don’ts of 1860s fashion with Mary Todd Lincoln. Try on period clothing, decorate paper dolls, and strut in a 19th-century fashion show at noon.
- Discover more from Belva Lockwood and Edith and Woodrow Wilson about women’s suffrage, participate in the fun by making your own speech, parade signs and sashes, and vote on various topics. Rally in a parade at 11:30 a.m. and 3 p.m.
- Sing patriotic songs with Lady Liberty and Washington at 12:30 and 4:30 p.m.
- Meet Abraham Lincoln, ask him questions or seek his advice at 2:30 p.m.
- Other activities include trying on presidential facial hair, learning about embarrassing presidential moments, discovering a president’s connection to grave robbing, decorating a clothespin to look like Abe Lincoln and much, much more.
Treat yourself to lunch and enjoy deli sandwiches, hot dogs, corn chowder, pretzels, hot chocolate and more. Visitors are welcome to bring their own lunches as well. After lunch, visit the Conner Prairie Store, open 10 a.m. to 5:30 p.m. to find souvenirs, toys, books, Indiana-made items and more.
Join us for free on Feb. 17 from 10 a.m. to 5 p.m. for a Presidents Day celebration you won’t forget.
Things to do in Indianapolis
Jan. 28 to Feb. 3, 2013
- 91st Annual Indianapolis Home Show at the State Fairgrounds
- Devour Downtown Winterfest in Indianapolis
- Indiana Pacers NBA Basketball at Bankers Life Fieldhouse
- College Men’s Basketball at Indiana University
- The Singing Hoosiers Live at Warren Performing Arts Center
- Hearthside Supper at Conner Prairie Interactive History Park
- Faculty Artist Concert Series at the University of Indianapolis
- Indiana Ice USHL Ice Hockey
- College Men’s Basketball at Butler University
- 17th Annual Shipshewana Pajama Sale in LaGrange County
Free publicity for your events! Submit an event.
AroundIndy.com completes ten years online at the end of this month and begins our 11th year of operations on Friday, Feb. 1, 2013. Thank you, Indianapolis, for your wonderful support and encouragement over the past decade!