4th of July in Downtown Indianapolis
Brittany Smith, Indianapolis Downtown, Inc.
Downtown is Close to Perfect for the long holiday weekend!
Spend your 4th of July Downtown with fireworks, food, festivities and lots of fun – there’s something for everyone in Downtown Indianapolis this weekend! For a complete calendar of events, call Indianapolis Downtown, Inc. at 317.237.2222 or search online at www.indydt.com.
Downtown Parking and Traveling Tips:
Everyone can find parking, arrive at their destination on time and enjoy all the excitement if a few simple tips are followed.
- Plan your driving and walking route into and through Downtown ahead of time.
- Use interstates to travel to and leave Downtown.
- Enter Downtown from the side on which you plan to park.
- Allow plenty of extra travel time to Downtown.
- Be aware that travel through Downtown will be limited to streets away from the core area.
- Relax during peak exit times.
- Wear comfortable shoes, park once and enjoy the walk.
- Carpool or use IndyGo if possible.
- Downtown parking is abundant. There are more than 70,000 parking spaces Downtown.
- Log onto indydt.com for Downtown maps with attraction and parking information. Print out the map and bring it with you.
- Select a couple of parking alternatives before you leave home.
- Plan to use a garage or lot. Most meters near event sites are restricted during this time.
- Many Downtown parking meters accept cash and credit cards.
- Some parking facilities and lots may not be open to the public.
- Due to the July 4 holiday, parking meters will be FREE Monday, July 4. Parking meters are always FREE after 9 p.m. Monday – Saturday and all day Sunday. Otherwise, meter rates are $1/hour with a two-hour limit weekdays before 5 p.m. and four-hour limit weekdays after 5 p.m. and all day Saturday. Meter hours are 7 a.m. – 9 p.m.
Experience Downtown – Close to Perfect!
Enjoy the Fourth of July weekend Downtown… check into one of Downtown’s 30 hotels and make a weekend of it! Through Sept. 6, government employees and teachers can stay at Conrad Indianapolis for $99 per night. Not eligible? Take advantage of The Children’s Museum’s Fuel Your Summer Fun Package and bring the whole family Downtown. The package includes tickets to The Children’s Museum, hotel deals and gas money. Package prices range from $149 to $229. Go to indydt.com to see other packages and deals. Relax by the pool and then take full advantage of Downtown’s attractions and events. Check out the Indianapolis Indians July 4 – 6, and Tiger Forest presented by Citizens Energy Group at the Zoo and more! Take in the city surroundings while dining at one of Downtown’s many outdoor dining options. Spend the afternoon at White River State Park with a Segway tour or relaxing gondola or pedal boat ride on the Canal.
Behold Indy’s largest fireworks display, Donatos Downtown Freedom Blast, shooting from the top of the Region’s Bank Tower beginning at 9:45 p.m. Monday, July 4! The show will be synchronized to music broadcast on radio stations WIBC-FM (93.1) and WLHK-FM (97.1) Bring the entire family Downtown for food, music and fun that lasts all weekend long. See full details below.
White River State Park
- Florence + the Machine with special guest Hanni El Khatib will perform at The Lawn at White River State Park at 7 p.m. It’s the ideal setting for the holiday fireworks, too! Visit inwhiteriver.com/lawn for more information or to purchase tickets.
- Celebrate Independence Day at the Eiteljorg Museum of American Indians & Western Art with FREE admission to the museum from 10 a.m. to 5 p.m. See Red/Black: Related Through History featuring an in-depth look at the relationship between Native Americans and African Americans. Beginning at 4:30 p.m., Eiteljorg Museum presents Canal Family Fest. Enjoy family-friendly games and crafts, music, artist demonstrations and more on the DeHaan Family Terrace. Also, dine on a delicious BBQ buffet in the Sky City Café and watch the fireworks from the terrace. Log on to eiteljorg.org for additional information.
- Toast the USA at Elbow Room with drink specials till 3 a.m. Beat the heat and reserve the banquet room during dinner for views of the fireworks! Call 635.3354 for more details or to reserve a table!
- Concerts on the Canal series continues July 4 at the Indiana Historical Society from 5 – 9:30 p.m. Hear patriotic tunes and marches from Municipal Band and New Orleans rhythm and blues from Craig Brenner and the Crawdads. The Terrace at the History Center is a great place to watch the city’s fireworks! Reserved seating available: Tables for four are $35; $30 IHS members. Tables for eight are $45; $40 IHS members. Single seats at a community table are available for $8, $7 for members. Call 232.1882 for more details or log onto www.indianahistory.org.
- For 36 years, the President Benjamin Harrison Home has hosted its annual Ice Cream Social! Cold ice cream from 11:30 a.m. to 3 p.m., patriotic enactors and live music make this the perfect, safe family celebration of the Fourth of July! Tickets are $12 for adults, $5 for students and children four and under are FREE. For more information, call 317.631.1888 or check presidentbenjaminharrison.org.
- Take a six-mile tour of Indianapolis in the Firecracker 6 run/walk. Spend the day supporting Hoosiers Helping Heroes by participating in the family friendly event. Finish the race at Indianapolis City Market for a post-race celebration including food, music and prizes! Register for the event at firecracker6.com.
- Don’t miss the 10th Annual Rooftop 4th of July Celebration at the Fountain Square Theatre Building. Guests can enjoy dinner from the shelBi street caFe & Bistro and a spectacular view of the Downtown fireworks from the Rooftop Garden. The celebration will be from 7 – 11 p.m. and includes Duckpin Bowling. Tickets are $70 per guest (includes tax & gratuity) and all guests must be 21 years and older. Tickets are on sale now. Call 686.6010, ext. 2 for tickets. fountainsquareindy.com/events.asp
- Party Independence Day away at the Rathskeller Biergarten’s July 4 celebration! Enjoy live music by The Connect from 7 – 7:40 p.m. and Zanna Doo from 8 – 11 p.m. Stay for a great view of the Downtown fireworks. Call 636.0396 to make reservations today! Log on to rathskeller.com for more details.
July 1 – 6
- July 1 – 3, come to Victory Field for the Inaugural Rock and Roll BBQ! This three-day BBQ festival will combine live music, food and lots of fun! Admission is FREE before 6 p.m. on Friday and before 2 p.m. Saturday and Sunday. More information is available at indyrocknrollbbq.com.
- July 4 – 6, take the family out to the ballgame to see the Indianapolis Indians at Victory Field any night Monday- Wednesday! For the July 4 game against the Toledo Mud Hens, fans will receive a hand held American Flag and the first 14,500 fans will receive a rally towel. Fans are encouraged to stay after the game and Indians’ fireworks show and enjoy the Donatos Freedom Blast! Get your tickets today at indyindians.com or call 269.3545.
- The Honorable Judge Sarah Evans Barker will preside over the Naturalization Ceremony for new U.S. citizens at 10 a.m. Admission to the ceremony is FREE. Visit presidentbenjaminharrison.org or call 631.1888 for more details.
- It’s IDADA’s First Friday! Stop by more than 20 galleries/studios from 6 – 9 p.m. and browse the latest creations by local artists. idada.org/?page_id=57
- Stop by the Indiana War Memorial July 2 for the Indiana National Guard Car-Bike-Truck Show. The car show will be from 9 a.m. – 3 p.m. To register for the event visit ngai.net/events/ngai-car-show.