‘City Sidewalks’ Holiday Event on Georgia Street, Dec. 7-9
By Jennifer Hanson
Indianapolis Downtown, Inc.
Enjoy a NEW holiday event on Georgia Street Dec. 7-9, 2012, City Sidewalks. For three days, Georgia Street will be transformed into a winter wonderland complete with ice skating, Santa, holiday shopping and performances, a nativity scene, kid’s activities, fresh-cut Christmas trees for sale and more.
- FREE ice skating
- Bundle up and start a new tradition ice skating outdoors on Georgia Street. For three days only, a FREE outdoor ice skating rink (including skates) will be available for all to enjoy. The rink will be made of artificial ice.
- Shop Indiana Artisan booths
- Numerous local artisans will sell holiday wares including jewelry, candy, gourmet popcorn, willow baskets, paper art, hot sauces, wine and more in a festive atmosphere.
- FREE Santa visits
- Visit Santa at the Omni Severin Downtown Hotel, Ballroom lobby, Dec. 8 and 9 from 1 – 4 p.m. Hot chocolate will be available to purchase.
- Holiday performances
- Enjoy local choirs, singers including the Indianapolis Opera and other musicians throughout the weekend.
- St. John’s Catholic Church
- Live Christmas trees will be for sale on site. Additionally, view an outdoor live nativity scene. Bring the kids for cookie decorating and a coloring station. Take a tour of the church. Mulled cider and hot chocolate will also be available.
- Block Party
- Head to the east block of Georgia Street Friday, Dec. 7 from 5 – 7 p.m. for holiday fun. Judging for the resident “Window Decorating Contest” will take place too.
- City Sidewalk hours:
- Friday, Dec. 7: 2 – 8 p.m. (Ice skating rink opens at 4 p.m.!)
- Saturday, Dec. 8: Noon – 8 p.m.
- Sunday, Dec. 9: 11 a.m. – 5 p.m.
New holiday wreaths and lights now adorn Georgia Street. Additionally, holiday music from B105.7 is being played on speakers installed for the season. Residents in the east block are having a “Window Decorating Contest” that will add to the festive atmosphere.
“We are very excited about this new event on Georgia Street,” said Melissa Thompson, Indianapolis Downtown, Inc.’s Georgia Street manager. “Free ice skating, holiday entertainment, Santa and artisan booths offer something fun for all ages. Numerous people will be Downtown for Pacers and Colts games, performances, conventions and other activities and we hope that they include City Sidewalks in their weekend activities.”
Downtown will be very busy this weekend. The International Motorsports Industry Show comes to the Indiana Convention Center Dec. 6–8. Friday, Dec. 7, IDADA’s First Friday Art Tour takes place along Mass Ave and in Fountain Square, and the Pacers take on the Denver Nuggets at Bankers Life Fieldhouse. There are also three shows at Old National Centre: Straight No Chaser, twenty-one-pilots and Aaron Lewis.
Saturday, Dec. 8, the Hoosier Invitational, featuring five high school basketball games, tips off at Bankers Life Fieldhouse. The World Spirit Federation: Indy Showdown, which features some of the top cheer teams in the nation, takes place Dec. 8 and 9 at the Indiana Convention Center and Lucas Oil Stadium. The Colts challenge the Tennessee Titans at Lucas Oil Stadium Sunday, Dec. 9 and Trans-Siberian Orchestra: The Lost Christmas Eve has two performances at Bankers Life Fieldhouse.
Georgia Street is Downtown Indianapolis’ newest and coolest gathering place. Georgia Street restaurants including Hooters, Harry & Izzy’s, Tilted Kilt, Howl at the Moon, The Pub Indianapolis, The Old Spaghetti Factory and Kilroy’s Bar and Grill will be open and offering great deals.
Georgia Street information can be found on www.indydt.com/GeorgiaStreet.cfm. Choose from Visit, Do Business or Host an Event. Web visitors will find a business directory, Georgia Street events listing, history, art installations, property improvement grant application, event application and more.
For more information, visit http://indydt.com/, or call 317-237-2222.