Free Admission at Conner Prairie on Feb. 18
By Melanie Hayes
Conner Prairie Interactive History Park
Did you ever imagine you could box with Teddy Roosevelt? Or get fashion tips from Mary Todd Lincoln? Or help throw a surprise birthday party for George Washington?
Conner Prairie Interactive History Park, Indiana’s only Smithsonian Affiliate, is inviting the public to celebrate President’s Day with free admission from 10 a.m. to 5 p.m. on Monday, Feb. 18, 2013.
Guests will meet and mingle with several U.S. presidents and first ladies, and through interactive programs will learn about their place in American history and their impact on our country, then and now.
- Take a boxing lesson from Teddy Roosevelt and Andrew Jackson, then square off safely in the ring.
- Construct versions of the Hoover Dam, Empire State Building or your own structure in our Imagination Playground as part of Franklin Delano Roosevelt’s New Deal.
- Play “Name That Beard,” a game show where guests connect famous facial hair to their owners, with Martin Van Buren and Walt Whitman.
- Learn about women’s suffrage, make parade signs, vote on various topics and join Florence Harding and Abigail Adams in a rally at 11:30 a.m. and 2:30 p.m.
- Give George Washington a thrill with surprise birthday parties at 10:30 a.m. and 3:30 p.m.
- Travel back to 1836 with a visit to the Golden Eagle Inn, where folks are also celebrating Washington’s birthday. Help decorate the inn and enjoy an old-time party. (Weather dependent)
- Piece together a giant Louisiana Purchase puzzle with Thomas Jefferson.
- Try on 1860s clothing, dress up paper dolls and get fashion tips from Mary Todd Lincoln. Fashion shows at 11 a.m. and 3 p.m.
- Compete in a trivia game about Indiana history, led by Benjamin Harrison.
- Have a question-and-answer session with Abraham Lincoln at 2 p.m.
- Examine the outrageous Presidential Cabinet of Curiosities and determine if John Quincy Adams is showing off real or fake items.
- Sing patriotic songs with Lady Liberty and George Washington at noon and 4 p.m.
- Sit down for an intimate chat and listen to FDR’s stories about his life and presidency at 12:30 p.m. and 4:30 p.m.
- Craft Corner, Discovery Station and the Conner Prairie Store will be open as usual. Roxy Morgan, author of children’s books including “Melvin the Moose and Mr. Blue Fish,” will hold a book signing at the store from 1 p.m. to 3 p.m.