Free Admission at Conner Prairie on Jan. 20
By Lynelle Mellady
Conner Prairie Interactive History Park
Celebrate the legacy of the Rev. Dr. Martin Luther King, Jr., at Conner Prairie Interactive History Park with free admission on Monday, Jan. 20, 2014.
Because King was an advocate of community and education, the public is invited to participate in educational, hands-on and fun activities that will honor his life, beliefs and impact on today’s world.
- Meet African-American entrepreneurs from Indiana’s past, including George Knox, who was born into slavery in Tennessee then obtained freedom in Indiana where he opened a barber shop in Greenfield and bought the Indianapolis Freeman, the first illustrated African-American newspaper in the United States. Listen to their business ideas and see if you think they have what it takes to succeed. Would you choose to invest in their business?
- Challenge your assumptions about material artifacts. See if you can recognize possessions from people of different cultures and distinguish who they belonged to.
- Let your creativity run wild! Add your own splash of color to our community mural honoring civil rights, make cards for soldiers and create your own personalized piece for addition to our “We Are Alike” quilt.
- What is a civil right? Think about this weighted question, hear personal stories and share your own story expressing a civil right in Lilly Theater.
- Step on the “Anything Can Happen” stage and take part in a show.
- Watch Martin Luther King Jr.’s famous “I Have a Dream” speech along with Robert F. Kennedy’s speech, both playing continuously throughout the day.
- Participate in historical games, such as hoop-and-stick and nine-pins, or gather your family to enjoy an array of board games. Play an old favorite or learn a brand-new one.
- Try on costumes and take on various roles in Discovery Station, build something in Imagination Playground, experiment with wind, electricity, energy and motion in Create.Connect and much more.
Conner Prairie Interactive History Park, Indiana’s only Smithsonian Affiliate, will be open 10 a.m. to 5 p.m. on Jan. 20, and admission is free to everyone. Lunch will be available for purchase. To view the menu offerings, visit www.connerprairie.org.