By Stacy Clark
Indiana Wind Symphony
15 Public Events in Indianapolis and Indiana
VERIFY ALL EVENT LISTINGS TO BE CERTAIN THEY WILL BE HELD AS SCHEDULED
- FRI: Freedom Blast Fireworks Show in Downtown Indianapolis
- FRI: Glorious Fourth Celebration at Conner Prairie Interactive History Park
- FRI-SUN: Pokemon US National Championships at the Indiana Convention Center
- THU-SUN: National Powwow XVI at the Hendricks County Fairgrounds
- FRI: 4th Annual Donatos Downtown Freedom Blast Festival in Downtown Indianapolis
- FRI: 4th of July IndyFringe Picnic on Massachusetts Avenue
- MON-SAT: Linton Freedom Festival in Greene County
- MON-SAT: Shelby County 4-H Fair in Shelbyville
- TUE: Community Tuesday at White River State Park
- WED-SUN: Shoals Catfish Festival in Martin County
- FRI: Firecracker 6 Run and Walk at the Indianapolis City Market
- SAT: 3rd Annual ‘Taste of Indy’ at White River State Park
- FRI-SUN: Madison Regatta in Jefferson County
- MON-TUE, FRI-SUN: Indianapolis Indians Baseball at Victory Field
- SAT: Motley Crue in Concert at Klipsch Music Center
To see thousands of upcoming event listings and things to do in Indianapolis and Indiana, visit our main Web site at http://aroundindy.com/, or visit our Mobile Web site at http://aroundindy.com/mobile. Thank you for using AroundIndy.com as your #1 source for things to do around Indy!
By Josh Duke
Visit Hendricks County
Hendricks County will once again host one of the nation’s biggest events promoting awareness and education of the American Indian culture.
National Powwow XVI, which has been held every three years since its inception in 1969, returns to Danville July 3-6, 2014, at the Hendricks County 4-H Fairgrounds and Conference Complex, 1900 East Main Street. The four-day event introduces visitors to a cultural experience filled with traditional singing and dancers in full regalia, primitive skills demonstrations, a living history tipi village, ethnic foods, crafts, artisans, kids’ activities, bird shows and so much more.
“We are so glad to be back in Hendricks County again,” said Chris Bryant, festival organizer. “All of our participants raved about the facilities three years ago. They were truly second to none.”
The festival, which debuted in Danville in the summer of 2011 after previous stops in Colorado, Illinois, Kansas, Missouri and Tipton, Ind., attracted more than 700 participants and 2,000 visitors to Hendricks County. Bryant said he hopes to see those numbers double this year with its return to the same location. Organizers also are expecting about 100 vendors at the event, whose wares will include American Indian jewelry, musical instruments, art and crafts.
Gates open at 8:30 a.m. daily. A full schedule of festivities continues throughout all four days, transforming the 110-acre fairgrounds into an American Indian experience with something of interest for everyone in the family. Participants will come from all over the country and even Canada to provide daily activities such as educational seminars focusing on tribal customs and history and various craft instruction. Highlights of the event include a special dance to honor Veterans on July 4, a parade and children’s powwow on July 5, daily Birds of Prey shows, a national craft contest, the crowning of the National Powwow princess and many other interactive activities designed to educate and entertain visitors.
“It’s a pleasure to have National Powwow returning to Hendricks County this year,” said Jaime Bohler Smith, executive director of Visit Hendricks County. “We are thrilled to host the thousands of visitors and participants who stay, eat, shop and dine in our communities while showcasing the unique educational and entertainment options of the event to our residents. This is one of those activities that not only leaves a lasting economic impact, but enhances the quality of life in our area as well.”
Admission is $5 daily for adults, $2 for children ages 5-12 while children under 5 get in free. Select groups can receive a special discounted $1 admission throughout the event. Those special days include:
- Thursday, July 3 – Seniors (age 50+).
- Friday, July 4 – Servicemen including Active Duty Military, Veterans, EMS, Police and Fire Services with identification.
- Saturday, July 5 – 4-H members.
- Sunday, July 6 – Boy Scouts and Girl Scouts in uniform.
For more information and a full schedule of events, visit the National Powwow website at www.NationalPowwow.com.
Spencer County Visitors Bureau
Here are 21 ways to celebrate the Fourth of July with your family in Spencer County, Indiana, home of Santa Claus, Rockport, Holiday World, the Lincoln Boyhood National Memorial, and lots more:
- Watch a parade, listen to live music, and more during the Abraham Lincoln Freedom Festival at Lincoln Pioneer Village & Museum in Rockport.
- Find out the best spot to view Holiday World’s Fireworks Extravaganza.
- Check out the stunning Bicentennial Plaza nestled inside Lincoln State Park that commemorates Abe Lincoln’s 200th birthday.
- Bring all the fixings for tasty campfire-cooked s’mores to enjoy around a fire.
- See Indiana’s tallest flagpole at Lincoln Boyhood National Memorial where Old Glory is proudly displayed.
- Try the decadent red-white-and-blue sprinkled fudge at the Santa Claus Christmas Store.
- Spend the day swimming and splashing around. View places with pools here.
- Relax with a picnic at a local park.
- Camp at Lake Rudolph Campground & RV Resort or Lincoln State Park and bond over games, activities, and fun family time.
- Cool off with delicious hand-scooped ice cream from a nearby restaurant.
See all 21 ways to celebrate the 4th: http://www.santaclausind.org/bearded-blog/21-ways-celebrate-fourth-july/.
For more information, visit http://santaclausind.org/, or call 812-937-4199.
By Kay Feeney-Caito
In 2014, UniverSoul Circus celebrates a major milestone – 20 unforgettable years of its unique brand of family friendly entertainment featuring a multicultural, multinational, blend of music, theater and circus arts under the big top. Twenty years ago, UniverSoul Circus redefined the center ring with an amazing combination of fun-filled, high-energy with an urban vibe, distinctive artistry, and audience interaction.
The 20th anniversary celebration of the UniverSoul Circus returns to the circle city Tuesday July 15 thru Sunday, July 20 at Lafayette Square Mall located at 3919 Lafayette Road, Indianapolis IN 46254. Tickets, starting as low as $16, are on sale now via www.Ticketmaster.com or 1-800-345-7000.
UniverSoul Circus has partnered with the Indiana Black Expo to offer Hoosiers a “Two Events, One Price” discount ticket. For $20.00, the ticket is good for admission to the Indiana Black Expo at the Convention Center and the UniverSoul Circus at the Lafayette Square Mall. UniverSoul Circus “Two Events, One Price “ tickets are available at the Indiana Black Expo office located at 3145 North Meridian Street.
Circus goers in Indianapolis will be treated to some of the most breath-taking and sought-after circus acts from around the world. As has become tradition throughout its 20 year history, UniverSoul Circus has virtually circled the globe to find the best and most unique talent to showcase under the big top. “Twenty years ago, UniverSoul Circus started as a dream,” said CEO and Founder Cedric Walker. “From a single tour stop in 1994, to amassing a worldwide audience of millions, our steady growth, popularity and critical acclaim has exceeded my wildest expectations. My dream of producing a singular entertainment event for the entire family to enjoy has turned into a reality, ten-fold,” Walker added.
Tuesday, July 15 to Sunday, July 20, 2014
Lafayette Square Mall, 3919 Lafayette Road, Indianapolis, IN 46254
Tuesday, July 15 at 7:30 pm
Wednesday, July 16 at 10:30 am and 7:30 pm
Thursday, July 17 at 10:30am, and 7:30 pm
Friday, July 18 at 10:30am and 7:30 pm
Saturday, July 19 at 12:00pm. 4:00pm and 7:30 pm
Sunday, July 20 at 12:30 pm, 3:30 pm and 6:30 pm
Tickets, starting at $16, are available now at www.ticketmaster.com and 800-745-3000 (Ticketmaster). Children under 1 are free. Visit www.universoulcircus.com for more info, show times, and schedules. Also follow us on www.facebook.com/universoulcircus and www.twitter.com/universoulcirc