Gen Con Gaming Convention in Indy, Aug. 14-17
By Stacia Kirby
Gen Con LLC
Gen Con, the largest consumer hobby, fantasy, science fiction and adventure game convention in North America, returns to Indianapolis for its 47th annual convention this month. THE BEST FOUR DAYS IN GAMING™ will take place in the Indiana Convention Center, 100 South Capitol Avenue, and throughout the city, Aug. 14-17, 2014.
The Exhibit Hall is open from 10 am to 6 pm Thursday through Saturday, and on Sunday, Family Fun Day, from 10 am to 4 pm. 24-hour gaming takes place at the convention center and at area hotels during the four-day event.
Updated Headlines for Gen Con 2014
– Record Breaking Attendance– Last year, Gen Con had more than 49,000 unique attendees from all 50 states and 32 different countries with a turnstile figure of more than 159,000.
– Exhibit Hall – 370+ exhibitors spanning five acres of game demos, new products, classic games, and more!
– 14,000+ Events– Including free-to-play games, competitive tournaments, casual gaming, and numerous non-gaming experiences, including seminars, workshops, and crafting events.
– Charitable Partner– All charity events at Gen Con will donate proceeds to Gleaners Food Bank of Indiana’s BackSacks: Weekend Food for Kids.
– Debut of Cones of Dunshire– Mayfair Games presents the first opportunity for players to try the Cones of Dunshire game popularized by NBC comedy Parks and Recreation. This charity event will take place on Saturday at 7 pm on Georgia Street.
– 29th Annual Costume Contest– Awards will be bestowed for numerous costume types.
– Film Festival– More than 100 films and digital projects will compete across three categories at Gen Con’s Annual Film Festival.
– eGame Arena– Digital gaming fans will find a host of games to play at Gen Con 2014, including competitive events, dance games, and a retro arcade.
– Author’s Avenue and Writer’s Symposium– This year’s Author Guest of Honor Jim Butcher, author of the Dresden Files, the Codex Alera and new series the Cinder Spires, is an avid gamer. Butcher leads a group of high-profile authors in the convention’s annual Writer’s Symposium.
– 2014 Art Show and Guest of Honor – Acclaimed fantasy illustrator Terese Neilsen has been selected as 2014 Gen Con Artist Guest of Honor. Most known for her illustrations for Marvel and Dark Horse comics and for illustrating Magic: the Gathering cards, Neilsen is currently publishing her first book, The Art of Terese Neilsen.
Live on Georgia Street- Just outside the convention center, Georgia Street will host a number of free, open to the public, outdoor activities.
–Official Beer Tapping– Wednesday pre-show concert begins at 5 pm when Indianapolis-based brewer Sun King Brewing will host a tapping party to unveil Gen Con’s official beer of 2014, The Froth of Khan, a coffee-infused ale. Tapping begins at 6 pm.
–Bands– Star Trek-themed band, Five Year Mission and acclaimed independent songwriter Sarah Donner will perform at the Sun King Brewing tapping party
–Food Trucks– Throughout Gen Con weekend, more than 40 of Indianapolis’ best food trucks will be stationed along Georgia Street.
Family Fun at Gen Con 2014
– Family Fun Pavilion– This is an area dedicated to family gaming for all ages. It includes exhibits, demonstrations, activities and much more!
– Training Grounds– is the place to introduce kids to the gaming world and all its possibilities. Training Grounds is most appropriate for kids ages 4-12 and is located in the Family Fun Pavilion.
- Chess Champion vs Youth- Women’s Grandmaster and 2-time USA Chess Champion Jennifer Shahade will be playing 50 simultaneous games of chess against children 12 and under at 10 am.
Official Gen Con Sponsors
Co-Sponsors– Mayfair Games, Paizo Publishing, and Wizards of the Coast
Contributing Sponsors- Fantasy Flight Games, Konami, Oomba, Ortus Regni, and Rio Grande Games
Event Partnership Sponsors– Iello Games, Upper Deck
Promotional Partners– Asmodee, Sun King Brewing
Everyone attending Gen Con must have a valid badge. A badge allows the individual entrance to the show, admittance to the Exhibit Hall, Art Show, Anime events, seminars, and any events happening in the public areas that do not require an event ticket. Badges may be purchased at http://www.gencon.com up to and throughout the show or on-site.
– Badges are available now at http://www.gencon.com with 24-hour Will Call pick-up on-site. Prices listed below do not include Marion County sales tax.
– 4-Day Badge Price: $80
– 1-Day Badge Price: $50
– Sunday, August 17, is Family Fun Day! $30 for a family of four