Circus Coming to Children’s Museum Feb. 18, 2017
Photos provided by the Children’s Museum and used with written permission.
By Leslie Olsen
Children’s Museum of Indianapolis
Have you ever thought about running away to join the circus? Now you have a unique opportunity and you don’t even have to pack your suitcase!
“Circus — Starring YOU!” is a colorful, highly interactive exhibit filled with the sights, sounds and even some of the enticing food smells of some of the greatest shows on Earth.
Opening at The Children’s Museum of Indianapolis on February 18, 2017, children and families are invited to step right up and join three rings of circus fun and history under the big top.
See the circus world as it was decades ago when it served as a rare form of exotic entertainment. Experience what has changed, and what has remained the same including the highly skilled athletes and performers who dazzle and amaze. Become part of the circus family as you dare to walk the virtual tightrope, learn to juggle, or practice your rigging skills.
“Visiting the circus has been a family tradition for millions over the centuries. Nowhere will you see such teamwork and talent that is passed from generation to generation,” said Dr. Jeffrey H. Patchen, president and CEO, The Children’s Museum. “We want our visitors, which often consist of multiple generations to share those circus memories, create new memories, and practice teamwork and build confidence as they conquer circus skills together.”
Here is a sampling of some of the fun families will experience when they join The Children’s Museum circus experience:
· Virtual Reality Tightrope: Experience the thrill of the high wire when you put on a headset and walk along a “wire” from one basket to another in a realistic simulation of a classic circus act.
· Lyra Rings: Practice a real circus aerial act using real equipment in a safe and secure environment.
· Rigging Knots: Learn to tie and secure knots similar to those used in real circus rigging.
· Juggling: Work together as a family on a stationary roller board to learn the rhythm and timing of basic juggling then try your new skills using scarves or beanbags.
· Roman Ladders: Two sizes of ladders allow you and all members of your family to practice acrobatic skills on special ladders created just for circuses.
· Clown Car: Dress in clown costumes and see how many of your family members you can “fit” in a simulated clown car. Don’t forget to take your family selfie!
Clown Face-Painting Touchscreen Game: Create your own clown face after learning the different types of clowns. Email your finished product to yourself.
Circus — Starring YOU! is presented by Chick-fil-A. It is supported by Purdue University and Aquafina. For more information, visit http://childrensmuseum.org/, or call 317-334-3322.